Dawn Frederick’s Representative Categories:
· Biography-Historical, media-related, political—ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL MEMOIRS
· Creative Nonfiction — It needs to be smart, with noticeable platform, and commercial. I enjoy a wide range of topics.
· History – Books that will engage the commerical reader. ex:I listen to a LOT of MPR and NPR (all the shows, most of the podcasts)
· Humor – I love a good laugh (I represent the CHOOSE YOUR OWN MISERY series)
· Pop Culture – Especially Americana, and anything quirky
· Social Issues/Current Affairs—Women’s Studies, GLTB Studies, Social Sciences, and more.
· Sports — Less mainstream, more extreme sport, ex: Roller Derby, not so much into traditional sports
· Women’s Narratives – women’s nonfiction, diverse stories please!
· Young Adult – Fiction, Nonfiction
· Middle Grade – Fiction, Nonfiction
Liz Rahn will be handling the following rights:
· TV/Film/Dramatic Performing
· Any Foreign Rights inquiries
· Merchandising Rights
PLEASE NO PERSONAL MEMOIRS (unless a person specifies they are interested the category), or SPIRITUAL/RELIGIOUS QUERIES UNLESS INDICATED BY THAT AGENT. QUERY ONLY THOSE WHO WILL CONSIDER YOUR SPECIFIC FICTION:
Preferred Submission Guidelines (for Red Sofa Literary):
We highly encourage everyone to email a query initially, before attempting to send a full book proposal or sample chapters. If there is an interest, we will directly contact the author. Once these materials are received, there is usually response time of 2-3 months if it’s the Fall/Spring/Winter, this will depend with our individual conference schedules and commitments to our current authors.
When querying, please only put the contents of your query IN the email. We will not open attachments unless they have been requested in advance.
Materials to have ready, should we request your book:
1. The full ms (should we request a partial or the full ms)
2. A full book proposal with Author Bio, Competition, Market (WHO will read the book), Promotion (HOW readers will learn about the book), Chapter Summaries (for non-fiction), and a Synopsis/Overview.
3. Sample chapters (if nonfiction)
4. Sample artwork (if a graphic novel)
Dawn’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amanda’s email: email@example.com
Stacey’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liz’s email: email@example.com
Reading Fee Policy: You will not be charged a reading fee. Going by the usual standards of the query process, please send them via email, clearly explaining the project, who you are, and why you are passionately pursuing it. Remember to always avoid including any type of email attachment (unless we’ve requested it in advance). Regarding queries by phone, these phone calls will NOT be returned, except in circumstances where the author has been referred by a current author or client.
What we’d like to see in your FULL book proposal (if requested): an Overview/Synopsis, a Bio, Market (WHO will read your book), Competition, Promotion (HOW readers will learn about your book), Chapter Summaries, and any other pertinent info, i.e. endorsements, estimated date of completion, etc.
Most common mistakes made
It’s essential any author reads the newest resource material during the agent query process. Otherwise, time and possibly patience may be lost due to lack of research on the author’s part. We know what we’re looking for, so it’s essential anyone querying Red Sofa Literary consider the types of categories represented at this agency. Know who your competition is, as well as the experience of building a public platform. In summary: Do your research, follow the industry standards of queries and book proposals, and know your competition—while building your own writing platform.